Wednesday 23 April 2008

Being serious for a moment...

..I have just watched a brilliant documentary on the BBC i-player entitled 'Ex Forces and Homeless' presented by Ken Hames ( not available to my US readers if I can borrow it and put on You-Tube I will) which covers the problems that our ex-servicemen suffer when they leave the military. We have a duty as a society to do more for those that have risked their lives for us to see that they have a life after their service. I have in the past employed and worked with many 'vets' who have problems adjusting to civilian life and who have little or no support from the people around them. We have a duty to support these men and see to it that their sacrifices are not ignored. I would love to see a program in this country and the US that promotes 'Hire a Vet',where those with the skills and discipline that they learned in the military are rewarded and embraced. Lets give something back to the guys that gave their all to protect us, they earned it.

Let us also remember those who didn't make it back...


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

let us all set aside one moment to think of them and their families, let us also think of the service men who came back horific injuries and just tosed aside my mps and the mod


yes lets

Electro-Kevin said...

I've always been impressed with the ex servicemen I've worked with. Usually a cut above the rest and good humoured with it too.

Anonymous said...

May GOD Bless them all!
Nice post Theo.
.
abinitioadinfinitum

Anonymous said...

Theo;

There are several models here I could direct anyone interested in th U.K. to emulate. Marine For Life, troops to teachers. The best mthod is for those who have gone before to reach back to those after them. The USMC is notorious for its Marine "Mafia" network.
Cheers
Tom.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
James Higham said...

We have a duty to support these men and see to it that their sacrifices are not ignored.

My parents were involved with returned servicemen and women and my stepfather was still going round helping war widows late in his 70s.

There are two groups I feel should simply have the keys of the city and should come and go as they wish free of charge, inc medical care - returned servicemen and women and pensioners.

A whole mental change is needed from society to turn these people into hero status.

Anonymous said...

I've donated money to these guys:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

I'm sure there are other, similar charities.

I agree that this country's attitude towards our armed forces is despicable though.